Having lived in the BVI for many years I have lots of advice on “How To Arrive” for charter yacht vacation guests travelling from the Canada, USA and Europe. Please do not hesitate to ask me for more information.
All visitors need valid passports (including US and Canadian citizens) for entry into the BVI. Some countries outside of the USA and Europe require visas check out for more details (info for visas). On entry to the BVI you may be asked to show your return ticket, you will also be asked the name of the yacht and marina where you are embarking. We can supply that information when you book.
All visitors have to fly via international carriers into either Puerto Rico (SJU), St Thomas (STT), St Maarten (SXM) or Antigua (ANU), these are all the nearest large airports with small regional airlines (see below) which then carry you on to Beef Island (EIS), British Virgin Islands Airport.
If you fly into St Thomas USVI (some visitors from Europe are flying this way via the states) you can be picked up and dropped off in St Thomas by some yachts instead of taking the ferry. We will advise this on booking. Ferry information below.
Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) International travelers who are seeking to travel to/from the British Virgin Islands via the United States under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) are now subject to enhanced security requirements and will be required to pay an administrative fee. Applications can be made online. Please remember to bring a printout of the authorisation with you.
If you travel to the BVI by ferry, the airport in St Thomas is 10 minutes away by taxi to the ferry terminal in Charlotte Amalie. The last ferry to the BVI leaves approx. 4:30 pm. (see below for ferry contact information). Again, we can advise and give you all the help needed to plan your trip.
For Europeans its quicker and easier to come via Antigua or St Maarten, however if you are shopping around and don’t mind a longer journey then check out the St Thomas, USVI route or via Puerto Rico. If you arrive via Puerto Rico you will either have to fly into USVI (STT) or BVI (EIS) to meet up with the yacht.
From the Caribbean and other Countries
Please note that citizens from some islands in the Caribbean may need to obtain a visa to visit the British Virgin Islands. Visitors from other Countries need to check with BVI Immigration as to whether they need a visa. https://www.bvitourism.com/entry-requirements
We can also give you details of private airline charters and small ferries
Insurance for Charter Yacht Vacations
This is highly recommended for you and your fellow boating passengers, whether for unexpected trip cancellation, extreme weather or medical, it is essential that you are fully covered. Here are some online insurance links
Ferry Services between St Thomas, US Virgin Islands and British Virgin Islands
- Road Town Fast Ferry www.roadtownfastferry.com Tele BVI 284 494 2323 reservations tele 284 340 3976 Tele USVI 340 777 2800 email@example.com
- Native Son Inc www.nativesonferry.com BVI Tele 284 494 5674 / 4617 Email firstname.lastname@example.org USVI Tele 340 774 8685 Fax:(340)774-8687|
- Smiths Ferry www.bviferryservices.com BVI Tele 284 494 4454 USVI Tele 340 775 7292 Email email@example.com
Water Taxi Services (Private) between St Thomas, US Virgin Islands and British Virgin Islands
- Island Time Water Taxi is a convenient choice for water taxi particularly if your destination is in Nanny Cay. They are very competitive and try and give the best prices. As a BVI registered vessel, Island Time Powerboats can pick up in the USVI and take you directly to your final destination in the BVI (Moorings, Sandy Ground, Sun Sail, Peter Island, etc.) Some USVI Taxi services can only take you to the port of entry and drop you off there, they are not able to proceed past the port of entry, then you have to find other modes of transportation to your final destination. Island Time’s boats are in full compliance with BVI Shipping Registry’s and USCG’s safety requirements, as well as being registered and insured in the British Virgin Islands. Tele: 1 207 201 5012
- St Thomas Water Taxi. Based in St Thomas USVI www.stthomaswatertaxi.com Office: (340) 227-5144 Cell: (813) 465-2665 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Seahorse Land and Water Taxi https://seahorsevi.com/vi-now Office 1-833-340-0340 US Toll Free 0-800-060-8755 UK Toll Free Email: Info@SeahorseVI.com
- Dolphin Water Taxi https://www.dolphinshuttle.com Call us at (340) 774-2628 (we also receive text messages at the same number) or email us at email@example.com Operations manager Dufferin “Pepper” Culpepper @ (305) 450-8794
Regional Airlines Flying To BVI (EIS) from Puerto Rico (SJU)
- Seaborne Airlines www.seaborneairlines.com
- Inter Caribbean www.intercaribbean.com
- Air Sunshine www.airsunshine.com
- Cape Air www.capeair.com
Regional Airlines Flying to BVI (EIS) from St Maarten (SXM) and Antigua (ANU)
- Liat www.liat.com/
- Winair www.fly-winair.sx
Private Charter is also available throughout the Caribbean
- Fly BVI www.flybvi.com Tele BVI 284 495 1747 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Island Birds www.islandbirds.com BVI Office 284 495 2002 US Toll Free 877 515 5066 email@example.com